East Toba

  • Location Canada
  • Energy Hydroelectricity
  • Client BC Hydro
  • Status In operation
  • Commissioned 2010
  • Acquired 2018
  • PPA expiry 2045
  • Gross installed capacity 147
  • Participation Innergex (%) 40
  • Partnership Axium Infrastructure
The East Toba run-of-river hydroelectric power generating plant is located in the Toba Valley, approximately 160 km north of Vancouver, British Columbia. The plant is located on the East Toba River, a tributary of the Toba River and has a nameplate capacity of 147 MW with an estimated annual energy output of 454,000 MWh. The project consists of a concrete intake with rubber dam-equipped spillway, a 5.5 km long steel penstock and concrete powerhouse with steel superstructure housing two 73.5 MW generators. Energy from the plant is transmitted over a 156 km-long 230 kV transmission line that connects it to the BC Hydro point of interconnection, near Saltery Bay. Construction began in 2007 and the facility started commercial operation in May 2010. All of the power generated at East Toba is covered by a 35-year power purchase agreement signed with BC Hydro, which starts at commercial operation and expires in 2045. The East Toba project has been granted the ECOLOGO® certification.  
Innergex owns a 40% interest in the hydroelectric facility and Axium Infrastructure owns the remaining 60%.