The Umbata Falls run-of-river hydroelectric plant is located on the White River, a tributary of Lake Superior, some 30 kilometers southeast of Marathon, Ontario. This facility’s nameplate capacity is 23.0 MW, and its estimated yearly energy output is 109,102MWh.
Construction at Umbata Falls began in June 2006 and was completed in November 2008 – the start of commercial operation. The facility was created through a successful partnership between Innergex and the Ojibways of the Pic River First Nation, who owns a 51% share in Umbata Falls. The remaining 49% is owned by Innergex.
A power purchase agreement (PPA), for 100% of the energy generated, has been signed with the Ontario Power Authority. The PPA, which will expire on November 12, 2028, also includes electricity price adjustment clauses. The plant has also been granted Eco-Logo certification and is eligible for the federal government’s ecoENERGY initiative, intended to support renewable energy in Canada, which offers a $10-per-MWh incentive for the first ten years of the facility’s operations.